|Home Page Commentary Linux Experiences System Software email to RedHat|
Here's the message that I sent to RedHat:
I recently attended the LinuxWorld conference, and picked up a RedHat Linux 6.0 disc. I proceeded to install it and upgrade from RedHat 5.0 to 6.0, and, much to my dismay, I found that I had actually downgraded my system significantly: 1) The middle mouse button (which was used for copy and paste) no longer does so. I re-entered the mouse fix suggested on your web pages: if [ -n "$MOUSETYPE" ]; then daemon gpm -R -t $MOUSETYPE else daemon gpm -R fi and it still doesn't work. 2) StarOffice 5.0, which used to work on RedHat 5.0, no longer works at all. It simply says, after rattling the hard disk for about ten seconds: Aborted I can't reinstall it, since glibc-2.0.7 is no longer available. 3) kppp, which would connect reliably to my ISP, no longer connects on the first try; according to the output, it gets a "SIGHUP" immediately upon the first connect. Oh yes -- it tells me to turn on debugging, but it only gets set for that execution, thus locking the barn door after the horse has been stolen. I'd love to set the debug flag permanently for every execution of kppp, but, of course, there's no clue as to which configuration file I need to change. And no, I don't have the time to load the source and read it and figure it out for myself. I doubt that many "ordinary" users do, either. 4) My CD-ROM burner, which used to work just great on RedHat 5.0, now gives the following Kernel panic. I'd love to pass this along to the SCSI module maintainer, but my "maintainers" FAQ appears not to be present on RedHat 6.0, or at least not in any place that I can easily find. ============================================ aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok. scsi0: Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7$ scsi: 1 host. Vendor: SONY Model: CD-R CDU 926S Rev: 1.1e Type: WORM ANSI SCSI Revision: 02 Detected scsi CDROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0 lun=0, aha152x no disconnected command for that lun QUEUE STATUS: issue_SC: current_SC: none disconnected_SC: 0xc0f9fe00: target=4; lun=1; cmd=(Test Unit Ready 20 00 00 00 00 ); residual-256; buffers=0; phase |disconnected|send_ident|; in other (MESSAGE IN ); phaseend; next=0x00000000 waiting; SCSIEQ (); SCSISIG (MESSAGE IN); INTSTAT(lo); SSTAT (SELDI PHASECHO R EQINIT ); SSTAT (SELDI ); SXFRCTL0 (CH1 ); SIGNAL (B51I REQI ); SELID(90), SSTA TZ (SEMPTY ); SFCNT (0); SCSICNT (0), OFFCNT(0), SSTATY (); DMACNTRL0 (16 BIT PIO READ ); DMASTAT (DFIFOEMP ) enabled interrupts (ENSELDI ) kernel panic; aha152x panic In swapper task - not syncing ===================================== I'm going to switch to SuSE and see if I can get it to work any better; as far as I am concerned, moving to RedHat 6.0 has been a tremendous waste of time and effort on my part. Better luck with RedHat 7.0.
Some extra information for any Linux gurus who are reading this and may have some advice to give: when I start KDE, my text window has this message:
Warning: /dev/gpmdata unable to get status of mouse fd (Invalid argument)
|Back to Linux Experiences - System Software|